The support has moved to https://pira.cz/forum/

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

RDS SPY Connection in a Car

scavta wrote:

Hello!

First of all thanks for this nice software!

I am a software developer and need to collect/analyse RDS data while driving. Could you tell, is it possible to do that with RDS SPY and if yes, how exactly?

Thanks!

scavta wrote:

Or would it be possible or easier to record logs from GNS Traffic box and later read with RDS SPY?

admin wrote:

Implementation in a car does not differ from other kind of use. You need a receiver capable of delivering the RDS data in any of the source formats supported by the RDS Spy. This usually requires the receiver to be modified as the signals required are not accessible on any standard connector. Or you may try your luck with standard audio/line output and 192 kHz sound card.

scavta wrote:

And if I take the logged .rds file from a navigation system with RDS/TMC, can RDS SPY read it?
I have one sample and it seems not to be readable for the software.

admin wrote:

Please provide us that sample. If contains all fields required, support can be added to the RDS Spy.

scavta wrote:

You can download that sample here.

admin wrote:

Thank you. Give me a few hours before implementation…

admin wrote:

Support has been added for this file format, please download actual version. Select File/Play File and GNS Log at the bottom of the Open file window.

The file structure is not fully clear to me, there are 3 bytes total preceding each RDS group, sometimes there are additional bytes, inserted probably when tuning to another station, so the RDS Spy automatically aligns to next group expecting that each group is preceded by two bytes 0x00. It seems that groups containing bad blocks are entirely removed so they do not occur in the log. Let me know in case of problems while playing your log files. We'll probably contact GNS for the file specification.

scavta wrote:

Wow! New Demo version. Awesome! So fast and helpful!! Thanks a lot. It works great.

I would probably ask a piece of advice from you. I need to gather RDS data/logs during a drive, with different scenarios, as well as in tunnels. So the options would be
1. To connect a laptop with EMU 0404 USB – expensive
2. Sound card – Data and Clock, recording data with RDS SPY
3. Set a device equipped with GNS hardware/software to save .rds logs and then analyze data with RDS SPY.

Which one do you think would be easier and cheaper? Or maybe I missed a better options…

Thanks!

admin wrote:

There's unfortunately no answer possible with general validity. First problem is that there's no standard defined for data format between RDS receiver and PC. All methods are either unofficial (1) or limited to specific product line (2).
Ad 1: Any solution requires individual experiments or modifications and it's always unique and hard to compare.
Ad 2: Specialized RDS receivers, if we exclude expensive solutions, usually differ in behaviour and quality of reception against standard car radio. Depending on application, this may be a problem as areas covered with good signal may appear as uncovered on simple boxes without connector for external antenna and appropriate RF front-end quality. I think this is also the GNS box issue.
There's probably no good or bad solution. It always depends on application.

scavta wrote:

Maybe a late addition to the information I gave…
There are specific navigation devices, that save that .rds file. But GNS Traffic Box itself does not do it.
Thought will be useful to share it, not to cause any confusion.

scavta wrote:

Maybe a late addition to the information I gave…
There are specific navigation devices, that save that .rds file. But GNS Traffic Box itself does not do it.
Thought will be useful to share it, not to cause any confusion.
And in that case would be better to change the name of new file type option "GNS Traffic Box log file (*.rds)".